A while back, I bought this fancy design software program that seemed WAY over my head. I’ve been sort of playing with it for months and not really doing anything substantial with it. I’m really still just trying to figure out how to use it properly. I decided to test it by creating a simple baby sweater and knitting what it said to see if/how it works. It gave me the design in pieces, but I decided to knit the front pieces and the back together. I also added 3 stitches in the front so that I could try for the first time a crochet STEEK. (I know! I don’t think it’s an accident that the word “steek” contains the word “eek”. For real.) Anyway, I took the cast on amounts for all the pieces, added them together, added the 3 steek stitches and got started. When I got to the arm holes, I worked the back flat and felt pretty good about the design software as I put the tops of the back on stitch holders for grafting later. I cut my yarn on both sides and flipped the piece over on my lap. I straightened the edges, brushed the front flat, gave it a little stretch (kinda like the knitter’s version of kicking tires) and felt a sense of pride wash over me.
And then I noticed it.
THE FRONTS WEREN’T THE SAME SIZE! I went back to my notes and counted the stitches on the front right side, thinking that I had just started the back on the wrong stitch. Except that number was right. My second thought was that the software was crap and why did I waste my money on it. Then I thought that it could still be possible that the mistake was mine, since I’m not typically smarter than computer software, especially when it comes to math. Either that or I interpreted the software wrong. I went back to the beginning of my notes and thought I would retrace all my steps. I didn’t have to retrace very far. *shaking head in shame*
The software said to cast on 54 stitches for the back piece and 24 stitches for each front piece. I was knitting them all at the same time, so I had to add them together, then add the 3 steek stitches. 54+24+24+3=105.
I cast on 111.
Usually when I do something this idiotic, and it’s this far back, I get frustrated and cast the project aside for a while or forever. Knitting is supposed to be fun, right? And it takes me a while to get up enough motivation to start something completely over. Usually I need to knit something else for a while until I’m over it. In the moment, my thoughts progressed as follows:
1. You are an idiot.
2. Screw it, I need to clean the house anyway.
3. I really don’t want to clean the house.
4. Maybe it’s not a total loss…
The reason for this simple baby sweater was to learn the software and to try a crochet steek. Besides the extra 6 stitches on one side, it was going fine. How could I continue with this sweater, learn the things I’m trying to learn and make it wearable at the end, since it would be silly to knit a whole sweater and not give it to someone.
Well, here is what I’m thinking:
I’ll add some fan and feather stitch to the shorter front and bottom of sleeves. The longer front will be secured on the inside of the shorter front with some loops and inside buttons. So it’ll be a little like a double-breasted coat, but the overlap won’t be as wide. It might not be the greatest design detail ever, but it’ll make it wearable for the 7 minutes it’ll fit Elsie and I’ll have learned about the software, about steeking, and about adapting a pattern to support my mathematical deficiencies.